Thursday, June 23, 2005

My James Morrison Interview

Yesterday was a surreal day for me here at work. I had the privilege of interviewing the trumpeting jazz musician James Morrison for Signs Magazine (October issue?). Not only was this my first 'celebrity' interview but he has also been my musical idol since early high-school. Yes I'm a trumpet player, or at least try to toot it these days. I don't practice enough to be able to play very long, my lips get to tired and stop buzzing (so no sound comes out). Anyhow. Having all his CD's and seen him in concert several times made my 20 minute conversation with him surreal. He actually heard my questions and spoke to me personally, no one else was interested something I never imagined would happen. While writing up the article on him, maybe I'll pull out 5 interesting answers and do a web exclusive 5Q4 on him. I know he may not be as 'hip' as musicians most youthful people are interested in, but I'm sure there are some who have gone "WOW" to his music.
Something else of interest, while I'm here, Steve Taylor, who used to work here at Signs, is now helping to put together the Morrison Digital Trumpets (MDT). This is one cool machine! Just released, (pictured being played by Mr Morrison at Wallsend Church, NSW). It's fingering is like a trumpet but you only have to blow (the harder the louder), not buzz, and you can play 10 octaves. Not only that but you can switch it to a electric or base guitar sound, or mouth-organ or flute or piano etc etc. There are heaps of other features-I'm certainly saving up for one of these babys.

Scott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home